halloween safety link of the day
Courtesy of The Indianapolis Star are these tips from local polics about keeping your little trick-or-treaters safe this Halloween:
• Wear light-colored clothing that's short enough to prevent tripping. Wear shoes that fit.
• Wear light-colored costumes. Add reflective tape.
• Make sure children can see well through masks. A safe alternative is to use makeup.
• Adults should accompany young children.
• Go out in daylight. If going out after dark, carry a flashlight.
• Map out a safe route. Stay within the neighborhood and visit only homes you know.
• Keep costumed children away from pets. A pet may become frightened and possibly aggressive.
• Avoid hard plastic or wooden props such as daggers or swords. Substitute with foam items.
• Stay on sidewalks and cross only at corners. Walk, don't run.
• Watch for traffic.
• Give and accept only wrapped or packaged candy.
• Examine all candy before allowing children to eat it.
• Should you find a suspicious item, contact police as soon as possible. If injury is involved, call 911.
For more information, see this longer list at SafeChild.net. And check out the Halloween rumors and horror stories at the Urban Legends Reference Pages.