(continued from the previous post)
After facing down the game's final boss...
...Aya saves the young Eve.
The good news is that, after giving it a rest for a couple of days, I finally finished Parasite Eve 2! w00t! There are two final bosses--an enormous, blob-like monster I've seen called the "Reactor" or the "Ultimate Being," which fills the center of a chamber in which the player character Aya is trapped. Aya basically has to run around the perimeter and attack barious parts of its body, each of which has a unique attack, while avoiding damage. After the player dishes out enough damage, the critter's central core opens up and it emits a mega-blast at intervals; unfortunately, that's also the opportunity for Aya to attack the monster's vulnerable inner core. I've "died" several times because I've misjudged being outside the range of the blast while lining up for a shot. (Indeed, "target fixation" is a regular problem I have when playing combat flight sims or video games...I'll focus on lining up for an attack so intently that I'll either take an attack or fly into terrain--oops!) This time, though, I had more success by employing the following tactics:
- Attacking the lower section to reduce the rate at which it rotates, allowing Aya to outrun attacks
- Destroying one of the monster's arms to provide a safe zone
- Attacking the back to expand the safe zone
- Deliberately not taking out the monster's head; its exposed neck can inflict highly inconvenient blindness
- Taking out the other arm
- Taking out the head and neck in rapid succession; doing so meant saving up Aya's energy powers and relying on grenades for the previous attacks
- Finally, methodically avoiding the core blasts and firing a grenade into the exposed innards.
Even so, Aya had to pump something like 55 M203 40mm grenade rounds into the thing--along with I don't know how many bursts of her combustive mitochondrial energy powers--to defeat the beast. However, after that tense battle, the subsequent boss was something of a pushover: Aya just stayed around the room's perimeter and toasted it with a laser. Winning the game allows the option to replay with extra weapons and boosted powers, and also unlocks more challenging levels.