Here's a quick rundown of the latest follies of the so-called "liberal media":
- Obnoxious conservative commentator [insert your own redundancy joke here] trashes MSNBC in general and reporter Ashleigh Banfield in particular
- MSNBC hires said obnoxious commentator
- Commentator -- now an MSNBC empployee, yet -- refers to his now-colleague as a "slut" on the air
- Banfield takes commentator, MSNBC and the media in general to task for its standards
- MSNBC issues statement promising disciplinary action for -- yes! -- Banfield
What a sordid episode, and an absolutely pathetic display of cowardice on MSNBC's part! Read all about it in this excellent Boston Phoenix column.
Unfortunately, what's going on is very simple. Banfield is absolutely right about the war coverage, and besides, she's simply defending herself from someone who has attacked her twice in grotesquely sexist terms. But MSNBC's past attempts to turn her into its hot-babe marquee ratings star failed, so she's not allowed to speak out.
She'll be gone -- soon. So will Savage, after it becomes clear that his hate-filled, lower-than-public-access-quality talk show is a ratings loser. And MSNBC will continue its long, unwatched march into oblivion.
Which should be fine; we already have one Fox News, and that's more than enough.
(via just-permalinked DisgustedLiberal)