Several days ago, I mentioned a keen Web essay on Japan's famous love hotels. The article noted that love hotels are becoming more expensive as they add fancy trappings to entice amorous visitors.
The Mainichi Daily News reports that some couples find the cost of a love hotel a bit steep during Japan's hard economic times, and are getting back to nature for their romps, getting it on in the rent-free outdoors. Even the risk of being caught on videotape by legions of lurking camera voyeurs doesn't seem to deter the amorous activity.
"Couples where the guy is a young salaryman are skimping on paying for love hotels and having sex outdoors. Youngsters nowadays do anything to save their money. High school students don't have any money to start with, so if they want somewhere to fool around out of sight of others, they've really got no other choice than go to a park or the emergency exits on buildings," adult entertainment industry writer Koji Hirose tells Weekly Playboy.
Backing up the theory that randy youngsters have no qualms about coupling in the great outdoors is the increase in sales of videos catching copulating couples pumping pubics in public.
"Once, we made 100 percent of movies released under our company's name, but now about 40 percent are produced by freelance cameramen and the other 60 percent we get from couples who've filmed themselves," says Makoto Sekiguchi, head of Lighting, a company that has produced a series of 45 films of couples fornicating under the starry skies. "More couples are susceptible to being filmed outside while having sex, so that has made it much easier for amateurs to catch them in the act on film."
Tokyo's Harumi wharf, which offers brilliant nighttime views of the spectacular Rainbow Bridge and Tokyo's city skyline, is whispered to be one of the most notorious nooks for nocturnal nooky. Though the men's magazine can't confirm for sure, it's a rumor a security guard in the area is willing to confirm.
"It's shocking just how far young people have recently been willing to go. They started having sex here, there and everywhere in public places and despite whether people are there or not," the security guard tells Weekly Playboy.
Writer Hirose adds that the recent prevalence for playing in public stems from more than simply financial reasons.
"More high schoolgirls are using digital cameras or camera-equipped mobile phones to take pictures of them having sex outdoors, which they can post on the Net and charge people to look at so they can make a little extra pocket money," he says. "These cameras can take high grade pictures of up to 1 million pixels and they've all got a powerful flash. They also exchange information with friends about how thrilling it is to have sex outdoors, so they all go to greater lengths to try and outdo one another, then report on the results like it gives them some sort of special status or something."
Manga artist Akira Narita, a big fan of a frolic in the grass, is delighted by the turn of events.
"Romping around naked outdoors and touching somebody else's naked form is an extremely healthy pursuit," the artist tells Weekly Playboy. "I know of a survey that said more than two in every three Britons had engaged in sex outdoors. Japan looks as though it is finally catching up with the rest of the world."
(via FARK, cross-posted at Destroy All Monsters)